Re: installing debian on IBM 43P-150 (CHRP)

Philippe Guyot said:
> After searching the archives, I found from Sven Luther that
> 1) diskette is not supported now on chrp-rs6k boxes.
> 2) shoul be ok whith cdrom from sarge-powerpc-netinst.iso
> So I made the cdrom and tried to boot via open firmware.
> I suppose I must launch yaboot then I typed
> boot cdrom;:\install\yaboot
> and after accessing the CD, the box booted AIX from the hd!
> should I try to boot directly vmlinux ????
> thanks for a pointer in the right direction.
> BTW, I am able to boot AIX install CDrom from OF (boot
> cdrom;:\ppc\chrp\bootfile.exe.....)

You can't boot from the CD's because they haven't been built to
work on AIX firmware.  To work on AIX firmware, they require
the -U option to be specified in the mkisofs command.

I don't know if you have broadband, but if so, I have respun
the latest sarge powerpc business card cd, so that it should
boot correctly (and automatically).  I would be grateful if
you could give it a whirl.  It's here:

If it fails to boot automatically, please try the manual boot
command from the OF prompt, both with yaboot and the powerpc
vmlinuz-chrp.initrd.  I've also patched the vmlinuz-chrp.initrd
files to work around the claim failed error.