Re: [seems SOLVED] Re: the ibook G4 sleep test patch

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 21:00 +0100, Pau Rul·lan Ferragut wrote:
On Tuesday 23 November 2004 19:06, Colin Leroy wrote:
On 23 Nov 2004 at 08h11, Colin Leroy wrote:
I had a brilliant idea ;-) and thought that my crashes that
I was noticing happened when starting (relatively) heavyweight stuff
like firefox. Then remembered I have powernowd to switch CPU frequency
based on the load, and tried without (with the CPU fixed at 931MHz):
it seems to have disappeared !

Give a chance to cpudyn

The problem is probably not related to the software used to switch
frequencies, but more probably to the kernel support. I've been having
various problems with the PMU-based frequency switching lately, I'm
still investigating.

Ben.
My system sometimes freezes sometime after wakeup from suspend. I am currently not using a load based cpu frequency switching.

It seems to me that these freezes are related to disk access. When the system froze, it was when it either was swapping in large amounts of data ( just a moment ago it was thunderbird that was about to be swapped in ) or I was trying to open a very full directory with gnome's natilus.

This would also make sense with the previous poster saying it happens when he starts firefox: On my system, starting firefox won't caus that much load so that the cpu frequency will be increased by cpufreq. But it will cause a lot of disc activity.

/Arne