Re: PowerBook G4 config for 2.6.8.1

After a long period of stability running Sid with 2.4.23 on my PBG4
12" 867MHz, I've finally made the move to 2.6.9-mh3 with Pander's
config.  I followed the instructions on Pander's page (patching, etc.)
and everything's fine...

Except that I'm back to a problem similar to I had when I first got
this Powerbook: when I try to shutdown (which I must do often since I
can't sleep), once it logs out of Gnome the screen goes dead but the
power stays on, and it doesn't shut down.  Yesterday from a Gnome
session I tried alt-F1 to switch to the console and again the screen
went dead: so the real problem is that I can't go back to the console,
and that apparently trying to go back to the console produces some
sort of crash (seeing as how I shouldn't have to intervene in any way
once I tell it to shut down, but it doesn't manage to shut down).

The last time I had this problem it was non-fatal (the machine would
manage to shut down) and the solution was an XFree package tweaked for
NVidia.  Does such a package exist now?  Should I be changing
something with my XF86Config (which has been problem-free for almost a
year)?  Does one of the rivafb patches at
http://honk.physik.uni-konstanz.de/~agx/linux-ppc/kernel/ fix this
problem?
In a search of the archives I could find only discussion of backlight
adjustment, which gloriously works.

If anyone wants to see my XF86Config, it's at
http://valla.uchicago.edu/ppc/XF86Config-4

Thanks

O.