Re: Re: Old world mac

Install MacOS-9. Then use the BootX boot-loader. (or 8.5 or 8.6, if 9 won't run on the S-900. I've never seen one of those, so I don't know what will run on it and what wont. I'm told that BootX even works with MacOS 7.5, if your machine can run it and you have a floppy drive to install it from.) You don't need much of MacOS to do the trick -- 200 MB is more than enough. But, if you can spare about 500MB to dedicate to MacOS, an "easy install" is a lot simpler than going thru all the options at install time trying to intuit whether you will need that feature...) One cute trick, if you have a 100MB Zip drive, is to use the IoMega tools to make an "emergency boot" Zip disk, which takes up less than 50 MB, even after you add the BootX and Linux kernel/initrd files and a couple of other useful tools. Once you have the emergency boot zip drive in hand, you can copy it to a small (under 100 MB) HFS partition on your hard drive, and have yourself the most feature-ful boot loader that ever was.

Rick