APM and backlight keyboard with kernel 2.6.8-1

 Hi all,
 I've juste finish to install Debian on my albook 15". I've used
 debian-installer and the bluit-in kernel 2.6.8-1. Now, I want to run a
 battery manager such as wmbattery but it says that the kernel doesn't
 not support APM. Then, I wanna know whether I shoud rebuild the kernel
 or is there another way to put apm on ?
 More over, the backlight keyboard doesn't work here. It seems to me that
 this problem was already solve, so I've missed. I have pbbutton
 installed but the backlight keys do not work :-(
 Finaly, I wanna know how to get the latest version of linux kernel
 (2.6.9 - 2.6.10) , in order to compile it on my debian box. I wanna test
 the patch that Ben for the suspend. Thanks a lot.

 Best regards,

 Jaonary