Re: Frech keyboard with xfree

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 4:22, Christian Leimer wrote:
> Jaonary Rabarisoa wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I've just finish to install debian on my albook 15" :-) . I've used
> > debian-installer pre-rc2 for this and the installation was successfull.
> > The only problem is the keyboard under xfree. With the consol, it's all
> > right. The keyboard behave just as in mac os x. But, under xfree I
> > couldn't get the right configuration. Here is my XFree config file :
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
> >         Driver          "keyboard"
> >         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
> >         Option          "Xkbrule" "xfree86"
> >         Option          "XkbModel" "macintosh"
> >         Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"
> > EndSection
> >
> > A few months ago I used the xkblayout from here :
> > http://www.linux-france.org/macintosh/clavier_rpm3.html
> > for consol and X keyboard layout. So, before doing the same thing, I'd
> > like to know whether this keyboard layout is now supported by debian and
> > how to set it under xfree ?
> >
> > Best regards
>
> Hi I also had problems witk Xfree but with a german keyboard. I did the
> following. Can you test if it also works for you?
> I change my XF86Config-4 to
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"  #<= not macintosh
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"  #<= fr
>         Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
> EndSection
>
> But you try please fr instead of de. And then I patched a little
> the /etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/xfree86. Make a backup before.
>
>     <RALT> = 115; # <= there was a 112 before you may paste here the
> keycode of your applekey
>     // Microsoft keyboard extra keys
> //    <LWIN> = 115;
> //    <RWIN> = 116;
> //    <MENU> = 117;

This is not really a good idea. The XKB stuff is pretty convoluted as it is,
and the keycodes are not the place to do this.

> I get the @ with applekey + q and the € with applekey + e.

One of the things that changed in XFree 4.3 is how the third-level symbols
(like €) are generated. Unfortunately, they were changed for the PC keymaps,
but not for the Mac ones. So in your case, you've switched to the new-style
PC maps, but the third-level key is messed up.

For the old-style maps, the keysym Mode_switch should be used, and for the
new-style keymaps, it's ISO_Level3_Shift.

I think that if you use the unmodified keysym files and add an XkbOption with
lv3:win_switch, you'll get the behavior I think you want (where the Apple key
+ another generates the third-level glyph).

> If this works for you maybe there is a bug in xlibs.

I don't think it's a bug in the C code of xlibs, but it's true that the XKB
files are a disaster.

Frank