pbbuttonsd won't sleep on 2.6.8

When I close the lid of my clamshell G3 iBook, the system doesn't properly
sleep like it does on 2.4.25. I've tried it with pmud and pbbuttonsd, and in
both cases the screen backlight stays lit. On 2.4.25, I configured pbbuttonsd
to sleep when the power button is pressed, and screen shows some psychadelic
colors then turns off. On 2.6.8, X stops and some logs messages are printed
on vt7, but the screen doesn't actually turn off. I have apm_emu loaded
via /etc/modules. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Frank