Re: No HFS driver, and "change install priority" menu option missing -- and other bugs found while testing 2.4 boot floppies on OldWorld PowerMac

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:07:18AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Thanks for the info. Keep in mind i am w total neophyte about HFS filesystems.
> I suppose we would need to bring the HFS driver in 2.6 upto speed, or create
> an HFS+ filesystem instead.

I can understand. Apple has always been a little strange in their
design decisions. Just to clarify a few more things:

1) HFS+ isn't meant for floppies, and I don't think it will work for
this stuff. It has a lot more overhead than HFS even if it would
work, so you wouldn't have much space left. The MacOS does not let
you choose HFS+ during the floppy format dialog sequence. The only
filesystems the MacOS has ever supported on a floppy are MFS, HFS,
FAT, and Apple ProDOS (Apple II stuff). Of these, Linux only supports
HFS and FAT.

2) HFS lost those features because it was rewritten to support 2.6
properly. The old code was still mostly 2.0 code with hacks to
support first 2.2 and then 2.4. It was a mess. Someone could add
them back in, but the problem isn't that it's not 2.6 compatible.
The problem was that it wasn't before, and it got fixed without
the extra effort to support the previous feature set. And just
in case you are wondering, it was a lot of code to do all the
resource fork and finderinfo hacks.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com