Re: Powerbook G4 1.33 GHz CPU temperature

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 18:49, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > Nope, the OF data are used to set up the PLL. Even feeding it utter
> > > bullshit for SCLK and MCLK does nothing at all to change the picture.
> >
> > Wait ... you are talking about console flickering or X flickering ? If
>
> console - X is fine until I switch to console and back.

Weird... It's usually the opposite... ok, now the hard one: try to
describe precisely what you mean by "flicker" :)

> > X, do you have "UseFBDev" ? If you do, does you radeonfb has the tweak
> > to use a hard coded pixel clock PLL value like for other laptops ?
> > (And this will be fixed sooner or later in X :)
>
> No, and no. Where's that fix? On that topic: do you publish your bk
> repository directly, or should I keep pulling from Linus' tree? (Last
> Friday, that one was broken due to DaveM's networking updates :-() What bk
> tree would you like to take diffs for?

I don't maintain a separate bk anymore, my patches go to linus tree
directly (or -mm sometimes for a while and then linus, depending on who
of andrew & linus picks them first :)

Things gets fixed pretty quickly in Linus tree.

> > > According to OF, the sensors are CPU bottomside and CPU/Intrepid
> > > bottomside. No mention of GPU - is that close to Intrepid? Are the OF
> > > comments bogus?
> >
> > Difficult to say, each machine has the min a different location, the
> > driver was written with "gpu" in mind, oh well...
>
> Maybe time to be more specific WRT sensor and fan location in the driver.

I accept patches :) Would be worth looking more precisely at what Darwin
does too

> > > FYI: lowering the GPU limit to 50 makes the right exhaust fan come on as
> > > expected. No ideas how that affects stability yet.
> >
> > No clue yet neither. We checked with anton on his laptop, the temperatures
> > read don't seem to be _that_ high and it still locks up ...
> >
> > Did it always lockup or is that new ? I wonder if there could be a different
> > issue like a bug in 2.6.9-bk* or so, maybe HIGHMEM related (I don't have
>
> Seems to lock up more reliably in 2.8.9-bk indeed. I have HIGHMEM off (or
> pmdisk wouldn't work). The thermostat fix was only tested on 2.6.8 though.
> Need to repeat that with 2.6.9 now.
>
> I've run a full x11perf with no lock up. No idea how else to trigger the
> lock (seems to be related with fast scrolling in either xterm or mozilla).

Ok.

> > highmem on my box, I hacked my yaboot to be able to load kernels that have
> > KERNEL_BASE & TASK_SIZE set to 2Gb so I can have up to 1.5Gb or RAM or so
> > without HIGHMEM :)
>
> Lucky duck. I need to upgrade RAM before that is an issue :-)

Ok :)

Ben.