Re: Oldworld Serial Console

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 08:17:42PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> Hello all...I've got a Beige G3/266 w/ voodoo3 card, that doesn't give
> console output in 2.6.x kernels. So...I want to do a serial console to
> some other machine. I'm hoping there is some way to do this with BootX
> and either my printer port and printer cable to another mac running
> linux, or using some store bought cable that goes from my printer port
> to rs232 to a x86 pc running linux.

As long as you are using a kernel compiled with support for running
the console on a mac style serial port, it should be simple. Just
append the right argument to the kernel command line.

console=<port>,<speed>

I believe the printer port is ttyS1, so if you want the printer port
and 9600 bps, use

console=ttyS1,9600

I haven't tried it on ppc, but I use it on 68k macs sometimes. I usually
use ZTerm on another mac and a standard mac printer cable for the connection.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com