Re: kernel update

On (15/09/04 12:29), joe udder wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've just managed to install debian ppc on a powermac g4 (stable). indeed
> an interesting experience.
> I would like however to upgrade to a more recent kernel on my machine, like
> 2.4.27, but searching the archives of this list gives me nothing to work
> with really..
> I assume that the process is a little more complex than just download from
> kernel.org and "make oldconfig". :)
>
> My question is if anyone else has done this and can give some hints or
> pointers on the process?
>
> Thanks.
Hi Joe

For my g4, when running woody, I followed the guidance at:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Once you become familiar with aptitude and apt-listbugs, you can run
sid, which provides the latest kernels as debian packages.  I'm
currently using 2.6.7.

As far as the installation goes the latest sarge (testing) installer
rc1, worked well on my G4 and is a lot smoother/easier than the woody
installer. It has the additional merit of being fast (c.45mins).  Sarge
will shortly be the stable distribution; the main downside of testing is
that security updates take longer to be available.  Sid (aka unstable)
receives updates much quicker but you need to be reasonably familiar
with debian, else you run the risk of having a broken system from time
to time.  That said, I start using sid some 6months after installing
debian, my first (and only) Linux distribution, and have not had a major
breakage since; just the odd minor glitch.

YMMV

Clive

--
Byte-Night 2004 ... helping the young homeless .. please visit:
https://www.bmycharity.com/clive