Re: eth0 and kernel 2.6.7

Hi,

Christina Boeckler writes:

> i am running sarge on an g3 newworld powerbook

Which model?  There are two NewWorld PowerBooks with G3 processors,
the Lombard and the Pismo.  You can easily recognise them, the Lombard
has a SCSI port at the rear while the Pismo has two Firewire ports.

> and with a standard debian 2.4.26-powerpc-pmac kernel almost
> everything is fine. but when i want to upgrade to a 2.6.7-powerpc
> kernel, my network is not recognised anymore :
[...]
> the same happens with the 2.4.26-powerpc-small-pmac kernel.
[...]
> following the discussion on this list i installed discover1, but it
> did not help ...

>From the symptoms, I would assume that you have a Lombard and need to
load the bmac driver manually (the Pismo has a gmac ethernet card, and
it's sungem driver is found nicely by discover).  Try and run the
command 'modprobe bmac' while running the 2.6.7 kernel, and if that
works add a line containing just 'bmac' to the file /etc/modules.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!