Re: How to boot w/o initrd?

Hi,

Matthew T. Atkinson writes:

> Unfortunately, though, I am unable to fix it when I boot from the
> CD.  As I mentioned briefly in my last mail, I'm told that the
> /dev/discs/disc0/part2 device doesn't exist when I try to mount my
> hard drive :-(.

Check whether you really loaded all necessary drivers by looking in
/proc/ide.  Then check where the corresponding device nodes are
located.  If you don't find any, just create them manually.

> The strange thing is, though, that I compiled my new kernel to not
> need an initrd

Are you sure you built all necessary drivers into the kernel?  If yes,
maybe you should leave out the initrd option altogether?

> -- is this something you shouldn't do on a PPC laptop?

It's perfectly alright.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!