Re: How to boot w/o initrd?

'ello,

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 17:50, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> So it absolutely needs the initrd image, because the drivers for IDE disk
> are on it - as modules. The initrd image is loaded into RAM by yaboot -
> there's no simple way to have OF boot a kernel that requires initrd. Boot
> from CD and fix yaboot.conf.

Thanks for the info on what that error message means.  Unfortunately,
though, I am unable to fix it when I boot from the CD.  As I mentioned
briefly in my last mail, I'm told that the /dev/discs/disc0/part2 device
doesn't exist when I try to mount my hard drive :-(.  (I had loaded the
ide drivers from the d-i CD when I attempted this, so I really can't
understand what I'm doing wrong.)

The strange thing is, though, that I compiled my new kernel to not need
an initrd -- is this something you shouldn't do on a PPC laptop?  I
really don't want an initrd as I know what hardware I have (just aobut
:-)) and would like to keep my kernel as simple as possible.

Thanks again for the pointer -- at least I know which direction I should
be going in now (the CD route) :-).

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>