Re: Kernel 2.6.8-powerpc problems (cdrom, battery notification, dhclient)

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 04:29:34PM -0500, Mannequin* wrote:
> Can anyone help me out here?
>
> I have a PowerBook G3 Firewire. I just installed a stock 2.6.8-powerpc kernel
> from the Debian archives, and when I rebooted I noticed some problems that maybe
> you can help me fix.
>
> First off, I can't mount my cdrom:
>
> :~$ mount /cdrom/
> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

Try an lsmod output and see if every module is loaded. Most of the stuff is
now build modular, compared to 2.4.x. do you have hotplug and/or discover 1/2
installed ?

> Second, on boot up dhclient tries eth0 and errors out.  But when I manually run
> dhclient as super-user, it uses eth1.  Why doesn't this happen at boot, and how
> can I get this fixed?

This is due to the order in which hotplug/discover load the modules. The easy
answer is to add the corresponding driver in your /etc/modules, to make sure
it get loaded before the firewire-eth thingy. The better solution is to fix
hotplug/discover to do the right thing. This should be fixed by now, i
believe, not sure it made it to sarge though.

> The third and final problem, is that none of my battery notifications are
> working right now.  They are reporting that the battery is dead, even though
> it's fully charged, and I'm on AC power. Any clues anyone can give me to fix
> this?

This i don't know about.

> I know these are noob questions, but I've never dealt with problems like this
> before, I'm not familiar with the 2.6.x kernel, and I could really use some
> assistance.

Can you try the stock 2.6.7 and tell us if the battery problem also happens
there ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther