Re: AmigaONE && Debian (unstable?)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

> I got my AmigaOne yesterday, and I'm currently trying to install it with
> the ISO @ SourceForge. However, I'm having some troubles with the IDE disk,
> cable or something completley different - 'device not ready for command' or
> something like that.

 might be because you don't have ide=nodma in the bootargs.  That way
lies pain and an eventual reinstall.

> Quoting Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > I think the kernel patch for those is more big than the pegasos one, and
> > i am not entirely sure in which subarch category the AmigaOne falls.
>
> There's a kernel CVS module ('linux-2.4.22') at the SourceForge site and
> diff'ing that with the original 2.4.22 kernel source tree gives me a 1.8Mb
> patch. Most of this is just '$Id: $' changes...
>
> I sent a mail to Ross about this, I'll see what that can give us. If nothing
> else, I'll extract the relevant part myself. Don't want to do that - 1.8Mb
> patch is A LOT to look through :)

 No kidding, was it only 1.8MB ? it felt more.  Yes, I did look through
it and I've extracted the real changes and put them at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zarniwhoop.  Seem to work mostly ok with
2.4.25 and later (read the docs, most people who have commented get
adequate results with the work-around for disk dma.  Not perfect by any
means, but it's a start).  You'll need mkimage from u-boot to build the
uImage.  But, you'll need to use an older kernel to install the system
before you can do this.

> > I guess a complete new one. |Turbo, how do you boot linux on amigaone, and
> > where do you get the kernel image for it. What is the status about
> > initrd booting ?
>
> To simply everything for me, I boot the boot image through TFTP. Booting
> from CD, Floppy and HD is also supported (and VERY simmilar to TFTP booting).

 For an initrd, you can put both the kernel and the initrd into the
uImage.  However, since the maximum size for an eltorito image is 2.88MB
you can't get very much in there.

Ken