initial XF86Config

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 15:16, jon salenger wrote:

> I'd just continue if I wasn't
> starting to get burnout/run out of ideas.

There's got to be a better way, especially considering
that this is Mac hardware. There simply haven't been
that many different kinds of hardware in recent years.
In spite of having totally stock and matching Apple parts,
I cling to a mysterious mode line I found via Google!

How about this. We collect working config files, ship
them all, and let the user pick? Slackware 1.x had this
advanced technology a decade ago, with about 30 config files.

It can be partially automated, such that at least 99%
of the users get _something_ running.

Suppose the files are named by this scheme:
       card-monitor-opt
Where "card" is a PCI ID, "monitor" is a name related
to whatever Apple used, and "opt" indicates a tradeoff
for resolution, color depth, or 3d.

So I have 1002:5046-22inCinemaADB-ResColor for this.

The PCI ID is automatically detected. The monitor
might be too, especially if this is a laptop. Otherwise,
just offer a choice of VGA and Apple desplays:

Plain VGA (tweak it later if you want)
15" whatever they called it with DVI
17" whatever they called it with DVI
22" Apple Cinema Display with DVI
15" whatever they called it with ADB
17" whatever they called it with ADB
22" Apple Cinema Display with ADB
20" Apple Cinema Display with DVI
21" Apple Cinema Display with DVI
23" Apple Cinema Display HD with DVI
30" Apple Cinema Display HD with DVI

Then, out of these choices...

low-res,  millions of colors,  no 3d
low-res,  thousands of colors, no 3d
high-res, millions of colors,  no 3d
high-res, thousands of colors, no 3d
low-res,  millions of colors,  3d
low-res,  thousands of colors, 3d
high-res, millions of colors,  3d
high-res, thousands of colors, 3d

1. eliminate unavailable res/color/3d choices
2. eliminate obviously inferior res/color/3d choices
3. if more than one choice remains, ask the user