Re: iBook 800Mhz G3 fan on a lot

According to float@lefant.net, on Fri, 28 May 2004 13:05:03 +0200,
>On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:45:35AM +0200, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
>>
>> Many thanks for testing.
>>
>you're welcome,
>
>only thing fan doesn't seem to stop anymore
>
>bash-2.05b$ cat /sys/devices/temperatures/info*
>T:52.500°C S:56°C R:10°C
>T:45.625°C S:50°C R:10°C
>
>values were like this for quite some time (went shoping) but fan is
>still blowing on what i assume low speed
>
>so when is it supposed to turne of?
>
>ffpx float

A new anwser to an old question.

In the last (1.2.0) version of the module, I set an ioctl command to
test if fan is still needed, and evenutally stop it. If you also use the
wmadm dockable applet (1.4), you can middle click on the applet to
activate this command.

Basically, the module checks the temperature against starting
temperature minus a hysteresis (2 degrees by default) and stops the fan
if current temperature is bellow.

#> cat /sys/devices/temperatures/info0
T:53.750°C S:54°C R:5°C H:2°C

The new parameter H is the value of the hysteresis.
You can set it with

echo "54 5 3" > /sys/devices/temperatures/info0

Maybe it would be interesting to have a kernel thread monitoring this,
but I'm not very confident with kernel threads (with respect to my
competency).

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail