Re: Airport problem

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:55:39 -0400
Derrik Pates <dpates@dsdk12.net> wrote:

DP> James Tappin wrote:
DP> > I have an iBook with an airport card which is configured to
DP> > dual-boot Debian Sarge or OSX Panther, that I would like to be
DP> > able to use on both the wireless network at work and at home.
DP> > Neither network broadcasts its ID and both use 128-bit WEP keys. I
DP> > can connect to either net with MacOS, but only the work network
DP> > works with Debian. The only obvious difference between the network
DP> > configurations is that the work system uses a router that is the
DP> > DHCP server while the home access point (an el-cheapo ME102) has a
DP> > single IP address and the DHCP server is the PC to which it's wire
DP> > connection is made (which also handles the NAT).
DP>
DP> This is a NetGear or something? My friend has a Linksys AP that I
DP> was trying to use the other evening at his apartment from my
DP> PowerBook Pismo - for whatever reason I couldn't get it to talk to
DP> the base station until I put the card into "restricted" mode
DP> (/sbin/iwconfig eth1 enc restricted). Then it just worked perfectly.
DP> You might give that a try. Also, what version of the Orinoco drivers
DP> are you using? I'm using the 0.15rc1 drivers (which include
DP> access-point scanning). If you have this, compare the output of
DP> 'iwconfig' by itself to what 'iwlist eth1 scanning' says about the
DP> network.

I'll give that a try. Yes it is a NetGear, but so is the router here at
work. As for module versions, it is whatever comes with the stock 2.6.7
kernel distributed with Sarge; iwlist reports that scanning is not
supported.

James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |