Re: Installation package - PowerPC sarge d-i tcl1 and upgrade to 2.6.7 smp kernel

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 04:30:23PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (15/07/04 15:32), Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 01:27:19PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> <snip>
> > > 	It all worked pretty much "out of the box" - thanks for a very
> > > 	smooth installer ;)
> > >
> > > 	Installing 2.6.7-powerpc-smp worked seamlessly on the new
> > > 	install and sound, network etc. worked straight away.  However,
> > > 	I haven't yet installed all the software that I use on my
> > > 	production box although I did upgrade to sid.  The initrd.img is
> > > 	in /boot on this installation and I amended yaboot accordingly.
> > >
> > > 	Installing 2.6.7-powerpc-smp on my production system, replacing
> > > 	a custom 2.4.23-ben1.031224 which I'd compiled with HighMem,
> > > 	smp, dma sound etc. produced some interesting results - none
> > > 	insurmountable:
> > > 	The initrd.img is in / on this installation but I amended yaboot
> > Strange. How did that happen ? And was the initrd really in /, or just
> > its symlink ?
> Maybe, I need to be more explict ;)
>
> On the new install the symlink "initrd.img" is in /boot but on my
> production system it is in /.  On both sytems, the actual
> initrd.img-2.6.7-powerpc-smp is in /boot.  So it is the symlink
> references in yaboot that need to be different.  Not a serious problem
> but during the installation, some comment on identifying where the
> symlink resides might be helpful.

Check your /etc/kernel-img.conf. In the new install, it was set by
debian-installer, while i suppose you have random or no values in it on
your upgraded system. Not really d-i's problem though, but something we
have to be aware of.

> > > 	assuming that it was in /boot and managed get my production
> > > 	system into an unbootable state. However, mounting the partition
> > > 	in the new install allowed me to find initrd.img, update yaboot,
> > > 	and get my system back ;)  I'm in danger of becoming a geek -
> > > 	eek ;)
> > >
> > > 	I lost network connectivity because eth0 was taken over by
> > > 	ip1394 but amending /etc/network/interfaces cured the problem.
> > > 	From dmesg:
> >
> > Yes, this is the module loader problem, where discover, hotplug and
> > /etc/modules and the modules loaded by the initrd conflict. only hotplug
> > usually loads the firewire before the network, and it is usually called
> > after discover. Do you have discover installed ? If yes, which version ?
> > And does it work ?
> Ah! I don't have discover on my production system which is probably why
> they loaded out of sequence.  I don't use firewire, so presumably I
> could remove this module?

Well, you just need to blacklist it in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.

Friendly,

Sven Luther