Re: Questions about the new installer

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 12:43:55AM +0200, Lucas Moulin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I downloaded a daily build (from 11/07/2004) of the Sarge installer to
> test it, and I have to say it works quite well on my iBook G3 900. But I
> have some questions about partman, which has replaced mac-fdisk.
>
> Should the swap partition be in the beginning of the hard drive, or at
> the end, which is now the case (in automatic partitioning mode)? I
> always put it in the beginning on all my systems before, hence my question.

I doubt it changes much, maybe a wee bit of performance improvement,
depending on disk technology, but i doubt you will notice.

> Secondly, as I've got a laptop, do ReiserFS or XFS have any advantages
> over ext3 ? Should I stay with ext3, or try another filesystem type ?

I hear XFS is better in the fact that it asks for less disk accesses
when idle, which is better for laptops. ext3 is fine though. Reiserfs i
would not recomend on powerpc, but maybe past woes are solved now.

Friendly,

Sven Luther