Re: Booting installer on RS/6000 43p-140

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 04:32:01PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 05:03:37PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Great. I will try this, probably Tuesday. Is there some HOWTO/docu for
> > netbooting d-i? (Sorry if something obvious exists, I am on dial-in
> > right now).
>
> I now read
> http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/olh_ppc_netboot.html
>
> http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/doc/netboot.html
>
> http://www.soziologie.ch/users/steinlin/d-i/
>
> So I would set up a bootp-server, and a tftp-server and would drop all
> kernel releated files into the latter, skipping yaboot.conf. Is this
> correct?

Well, only missing is a debian documentation which explains this kind of
things, care to contribute your experience to a debian document later on ?

> Next I would run from OF
> boot network root=/... console=...

Well, root is not needed for d-i. and console would be ttyS0 or whatever
if you are using serial console, or nothing if you hope to work with the
graphic card and fbdev.

> What would I place into root? Also am I strictly limited to serial
> console? (i.e., is it possible to have some kind of framebuffer after
> booting for local keyboard based access?)

Well, supposedly you have a graphic card, which is supported by the
kernel fbdevs, there should be no problem. That is if Jens didn't kick
them out of the kernel by then :). Mmm, Jens, maybe he may have a matrox
graphic card, which would be problematic here since you removed it in
2.6.7-3, as this is a popular graphic card by older powerpc hardware, as
it was well supported back then.

Friendly,

Sven Luther