Re: Excluding modules from auto-loading

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 06:10:57AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Richard Guenther writes:
>
> > I installed kernel-image-powerpc and now on boot a lot of modules
> > get loaded that I don't need.  F.i. ipv6, ext3, nfsd and ieee1394 -
> > can I somehow prevent loading of these modules at startup (apart
> > from deleting them, of course)?
>
> You are probably using hotplug.  One way to avoid loading unwanted
> modules is to put them in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.  Another is to
> deinstall the package completely and put only the modules you need
> into /etc/modules.

You just have to make sure that the initrd or discover doesn't load them
too.

For discover1, it is easy, as there is also a blacklist file, for
discover2 and its XML database, it is more messy. MAybe we need an
unified blacklist database or somethign.

As far as the initrd, the best way would be to get the initrd built by
hand, putting MODULES=none in /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf, and adding
the modules by hand in /etc/mkinitrd/modules that are needed for booting
(mostly your ide driver and root filesystem).

> As far as the extra filesystem drivers are concerned, they are loaded
> by the initrd.  To get rid of them, unload the ones you don't need and
> rebuild the initrd.

Mmm. Not an exactly nice solution, but we need to work on something
better.

CCing debian-kernel, as this discussion needs to be followed on there.

Friendly,

Sven Luther