Re: esd and alsa

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 the mental interface of
Michel Dänzer told:

> On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 19:13 +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> >
> > I am running the Enlightened Sound Daemon within Gnome. How do I
> > have to play ogg-files with alsa output? in my ~/.libao alsa09 is
> > mentioned. Plying ogg123 blah.ogg hangs.
>
> That's probably because esd blocks the playback device. In contrast to
> OSS, ALSA doesn't fail immediately on further attempts to use it by
> default but blocks until it becomes free (apps can change that behaviour
> by opening the playback device in non-blocking mode though, e.g. SDL
> does that).

Using esd in .libao only works if gnome is running. If we are using
other wm's (xfce4, kde, ....) this doesn't work properly :(

> Possible solutions are using esd (yuck) for libao or using dmix for the
> default ALSA pcm, see my post 'Concurrent sound playback without a sound
> server' from December 31st, 2003. My current /etc/asound.conf is
> http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/asound.conf .

Tried that, but didn't help after /etc/init.d/alsa restart :(

Elimar

--
  "Talking much about oneself can also
   be a means to conceal oneself."