Re: esd and alsa

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 19:13 +0200, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

> I am running the Enlightened Sound Daemon within Gnome. How do I
> have to play ogg-files with alsa output? in my ~/.libao alsa09 is
> mentioned. Plying ogg123 blah.ogg hangs.

That's probably because esd blocks the playback device. In contrast to
OSS, ALSA doesn't fail immediately on further attempts to use it by
default but blocks until it becomes free (apps can change that behaviour
by opening the playback device in non-blocking mode though, e.g. SDL
does that).

Possible solutions are using esd (yuck) for libao or using dmix for the
default ALSA pcm, see my post 'Concurrent sound playback without a sound
server' from December 31st, 2003. My current /etc/asound.conf is
http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/asound.conf .