Re: No 'startx' or 'xinit' command!

Earlier today lirsma@yahoo.com wrote:

   I earlier posted about how to install X-Windows, but
   I've since found a web page telling me the best way to
   do it.  I installed the following packages from
   unstable:

   xserver-xfree86, xlibmesa-dri, xlibmesa-gl, &
   xlibmesa-glu

   Everything seemed to go fine (apt-get returned no
   errors), and I have an /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.
   However, I don't know how to start X-Windows, because
   the commands "startx" and "xinit" do not exist!  Does
   anything know what is wrong?  Am I missing something
   obvious?

At the very least you need to install `xfree86-common', the X Window System
(XFree86) infrastructure package.

I don't have X installed and when I do a dry run ("apt-get -u --dry-run -t
unstable install xfree86-common") I get the following dependency information:

$ apt-get -u --dry-run -t unstable install xfree86-common
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Suggested packages:
  x-window-system-core x-window-system twm x-window-manager xbase-clients
  xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xlibs xlibs-dev
  xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xserver xterm x-terminal-emulator xutils
  xfree86-common
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 63 not upgraded.
Inst xfree86-common (4.3.0.dfsg.1-5 Debian:unstable)
Conf xfree86-common (4.3.0.dfsg.1-5 Debian:unstable)

I don't know for sure, but I reckon quite a few of the `suggested' packages
are pretty important really.

sebyte