d-i install failure on powerbook 2400c

Hello ppc linux gurus,

I have been trying to use the d-i to install debian testing on my PowerBook 2400c.
I have run into some difficulties and hope you can help me out.

Since the 2400c has no cdrom drive I have to use a network install.
(As a side note I saw a couple of posts (http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2003/10/msg00492.html) which referred to a
method of storing a cd-rom image on a macos (hfs) partition and mounting it through a loopback device for the linux install
process - but no details, and I couldn't find any through searching. This might work (though testing ppc cd images are hard to
come by (jigdo does not work on macintosh)) and if anyone knows about it please tell me more.)

Since the 2400c is oldworld and I have a macos partition the best installation method should be with bootx. In the beta4 of the d-i
there is a 'monolithic' version of the installation system, a linux kernel and a ramdisk containing the complete installation system.
Unfortunately this fails as is detailed below, and I cannot use the newer d-i images from people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/ as they
do not include the monolithic version, so if the problem I have detailed below is already fixed in the installer, some method of
creating a current monolithic ramdisk would be helpful.

I cannot use the floppys to install for three reasons:

1) The root floppy from the beta4/powerpc-small set is too large to be written to floppy disk (1,508,960 bytes). Diskcopy refuses
to try and suntar raises an 'end of disk reached' error.
Also, the boot image for that set doesn't work. The machine ejected it at startup so I looked at it in the macos (with the disk
locked) and it appeared to be an empty formatted disk.

2) I could not boot from either the boot.img or ofonlyboot.img from people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/, I tried altering the images to
work with miboot and also booting them through open-firmware but no success. If I knew how the ofonlyboot.img was intended
to be launched through openfirmware I might have more success. The kind of info needed would be the filesystem on the disk (to
make sure my open firmware supports it) and the name of the image on it.

3) Booting from a floppy (or anything else) through open firmware is probably of no use to me anyway as debian 3.0 cannot
initialise the 2400's pcmcia slots correctly unless the macos boot process has got a little further (its fine with miboot or bootx),
and as there is no cd-rom drive or built-in ethernet I need my pcmcia ethernet card for the install.

Ok, so here is what goes wrong with the monolithic install. I'll talk you through the process:

First we enter low memory mode. (The uncompressed ramdisk is 18mb and my physical ram is 48mb so I still have 30mb to play
with which shouldn't cause too many problems.)

Next it asks me to select a 'keymap to use for a usb keyboard'. The 2400c has no usb hardware, but I choose the us map and the
keyboard works ok.

After this it tries to detect hardware and from console 3 it loads the usb driver ok (although this machine has no usb) but fails to
load the floppy driver with:
'insmod: init_module: floppy: Device or resource busy'
(with no floppy in the drive).

It does however perform the impressive feat of recognising the pcmcia slots and the ethernet card without any input from me.
(With the 3.0 installer manual alteration the the pcmcia config.opts file was necessary for it load the driver for the slots).
It then auto-magically sets up the network.

>From stable, testing and unstable, I select testing.

Then it probes hardware again and again fails to load the floppy. (I don't need with this install system but it just seems a
strange thing not to recognise.)

It raises these errors as the partioner loads:

/lib/partman/init.d/50lvm: 9: pvscan: not found
/lib/partman/init.d/50lvm: 10: vgscan: not found

although the partitioner itself works fine and is a massive improvement over fdisk in previous versions.

OK now we install the base system.
It works fine for ages until it sets up packages.

For all of these daemons:
cron, inetd, exim4-daemon-light, atd, sysklogd, klogd
it raises the error:
Warning: Fake start-stop-daemon called, doing nothing

The next problem is with apt-utils:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent the configuration of apt-utils:
apt-utils depends on libdb4.2 however
package libdb4.2 is not installed.
leaving unconfigured

There were also several packages which tried to install keymaps but failed, for example:

setting up console-data, console-common
looking for keymap to install
NONE

We are now at 70% of the base install process and it ends with: (from the 3rd console)

apt-utils
umount: /target/dev/pts: Invalid argument
umount: /target/dev/shm: Invalid argument
umount: /target/proc/bus/usb: Invalid argument

And the installation program says:

Base system installation error
The debootstrap program exited with an error (return value 1)

So it seems to have failed, the installation program won't let me do anymore.
However I look at /target and it seems to mainly be complete so I rebooted and used bootx to load the system. It mainly worked,
although the daemons mentioned above caused error messages about them not working again. Unfortunately the pcmcia system
does not seem to be installed at all - and is certainly not running - so I cannot really do anything. I run base-config, but it cannot
get past setting up apt without a network.

So I get most of the way, but not quite far enough (for me at least) to rescue it and end up with a fully functional system.

Any help or suggestions on how to reattempt the install gratefully appreciated.

William