Connecting the iBook and the PC with a non-crossed cable

Hi

One month ago I connected my iBook and a Windows PC to transfer data, with a classic net cable (RJ-45), not crossed. Yes I know it's a little bit strange but I did it. The iBook was running MacOSX acting as FTP server, and the windows PC as a client. I didn't do it with Debian because I had to install some FTP server while MacOSX has it already installed. I don't know how it worked, now I have to connect other PC to the iBook, but this PC is running Slackware and I can't connect. The ifconfig output shows there is activity on eth0 (RX and TX packets growing).

I really know I have to buy a crossed cable linke normal people do, but if I already connected them with a normal cable, I want to do it again, with Debian or MacOSX, and I would like to know how it worked.