Re: FAQ?

George Wright wrote:
> > 1 - i have a "british" keyboard (even though apple's is not even close to a
> > british pc keyboard) and i would like to be able to have this mapped
> > correctly. at the moment a lot of the non-character (such as tilde) keys
> > are not mapped correctly. i selected the british keyboard during install...
> > but i suspect this is the british PC keymapping, not the apple one.
>
> I have a keymap file I wrote for my "british" english keyboard on my PowerBook
>
> 15". It's attached.

there were a few mistakes in this file you sent which i have fixed. (to allow it
to work on debian and for the keyboard to work more like it does in MacOS). i
know from MacOS this keyboard has AltGr mapping for almost every key... but they
are not physically written on the keyboard, so i do not know what they are.
perhaps somebody else could fill in the blanks?

save this file as /usr/share/keymaps/mac/ibookg4-british.kmap.gz and type
`install-keymap ibookg4-british`. you can get # by pressing AltGr+3 (which is
marked only as "alt" physically on the keyboard) and you can get teh euro symbol
by AltGr+2 if you have the console set up to handle it... setup locales for
en_GB.ISO-8859-15 and add the following to  /etc/console-tools/config

SCREEN_FONT=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc1=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc2=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc3=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc4=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc5=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc6=lat0-16
APP_CHARSET_MAP=iso15
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc1=iso15
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc2=iso15
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc3=iso15
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc4=iso15
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc5=iso15
APP_CHARSET_MAP_vc6=iso15

(you need all of the _vcN becuase we use a framebuffer on an iBook/Powerbook)

i am still to get the keymapping right under X... i suspect it will just be a
matter of making sure the alt key sends AltGr and that the Apple key sends Alt
(or meta)

if everyone who has this new British keyboard agrees with this mapping, then
perhaps i will send it to the console-common maintainers.

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts