Re: Installing on a dual G5

The 2.4.25 kernel image builds in the archive don't include a power4 SMP
kernel, or if they do they don't advertise it as such.

Can you try booting with install-power4-2.6?

When I try that (and I also tried install-safe-power4-2.6, with the same failure):

After yaboot loads the kernel and the image, the screen flashes white with some OF messages that I was unable to read because they were promptly replaced by a black screen which looks like output from the kernel; it starts with "frame buffer at: ..." and "pmac_init(): exit", and stops shortly thereafter. It looks like the screen wraps around from bottom to top (instead of scrolling) so it's a little hard to tell exactly what's going on, but I believe the last message is "open_pic(): exit". After a few minutes, the machine spontaneously reboots.

The 2.6.6 kernel image builds in the archive do include an SMP kernel,
which we currently aren't using. Is it safe to use this for all power4
systems?

I think that's a no :-)

What next?

meeroh

--

<http://web.meeroh.org/> | KB1FMP

"And when I have understanding of computers, I shall be
        the supreme being!" -- Evil, "Time Bandits"