Re: Touching vmlinux.coff, was Re: Current benh-kernel fails to boot (after clock) on iBook G4

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 06:52:23PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello Sven,
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 06:47:10PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, this is not a bug against kernel-package, at least i belive that
> > from a cursory examination, but a bug in whatever kernel-source you are
> > using.
> <snip>
> > Nope, since the kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac contains both the .coff
> > and the elf vmlinux. I believe this is a bug in the -benh snapshot you
> > are using, a bug i probably fixed a few month ago, and is present in the
> > package.
>
> Ok. So I should ask Benjamin Herrenschmid to fix this and close the
> Debian bug, right?

Yep. Let me check if the fix is already in the debian package, so you
can also directly send him a patch. That said, i have some doubt about
the longevity of the 2.4 -benh tree, seeing as there seem to be no new
activity there since february.

> > I would recomend you install kernel-source-2.4.25, and apply the patch
> > in kernel-patch-2.4.25-powerpc to it, and you should not have this
> > problem.
>
> Ok. I just followed the Debian-on-ibook guides out their and every
> single source said to recompile the kernel using the benh-tree, so
> that's what I did.

And you were hit by the real problem of debian on ppc, everyone writing
howtos and such to work aroudn problems, instead of working on fixing
the problems, or even filling bugs.

The powerpc 2.4 debian kernel has been following the benh tree since
2.4.24 or so.

> > > P.S. Since there are many subtle details when setting this machine up
> > >      properly, I am still on my way, but I try to figure out bugs if I can
> > >      and report them so future people will have even less trouble.
> > >      Unfortuntely providing patches on this architecture is too early
> > >      for me :-((
> >
> > Well, i don't know what you are trying to do, but you should be able to
> > just download the beta4 debian-installer (either one of the CD isos
> > would probably do) and install your box with that. No need for
> > selfcompiling any kernel or something.
>
> I did use the beta4-Installer, and reported to this lists the
> obstacles I had (well, learned more about ppc). I think one of them
> was fixed already by Colin Watson.

Cool.

> Since I adjust the kernels always, I recompiled (and I needed lvm,
> some crypto-modules). I did not try to stick with the Debian provided,
> because of the above recomendations.

The above probably obsolet recomendations. But what if someone else with
less knowledge has the same needs as you ? This one you let in the dark.
The correct way of solving this, would be to fill a bug report against
the appropriate debian package, saying what you need which is not
provided by it. That said, i build mostly _all_ modules, so maybe you
need to apply a patch anyway or something ?

> My machine is not currently fully supported by Debian (e.g. my radeon
> card is too new), so thats why I try to switch to 2.6 right now.

You have a radeon X800 or something such ? Again, how do you expect us
to change that if you don't fill bug reports ? And just for the record,
i came back from almost a month of offlineness, and it is only by cheer
luck that i saw this email out of the 1000 or so unread debian-powerpc
mails, so a bug report is always better than a post on debian-ppc. You
can CC the list if you feel it usefull though if you want.

> Currently I have no devices (but the grey X seems to work) and I start
> reading about udev which I probably will need. If I run into deadlocks
> here, I'll return and ask for help.

Please try out Jens's 2.6.6 kernel package and help out improving it,
instead of doing it all yourself in the true debian-ppc howto writer
way.

Friendly,

Sven Luther