Touching vmlinux.coff, was Re: Current benh-kernel fails to boot (after clock) on iBook G4

Hello,
On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 05:54:04PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 06:21:25PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am new to PPC, so please excuse if these are FAQs, but I searched
> > the archive and could not find the answers. I use a new iBook G4.
> >
> > I got the latest benh-kernel by rsync and build the kernel using
> > make-kpkg. As described in the archive, I had to touch
> > arch/ppc/boot/images/vmlinux.coff and
> > arch/ppc/boot/images/vmlinux.coff-2.4.25-ben1
>
> Notice that the debian powerpc kernel package use exactly the same
> source tree as what you are using.

Well, as I don't know much yet of ppc, this might be an error on my
side, but I seem to not be the only one (as I got the fix from the
archives). I did not have that problem on 2.6.6. In both cases, the
kernels seem to work (in 2.6 I have other problems, but as I am new to
2.6 as well, this is *definitly* on my side).

I reported this as bug #247850, so if you are in the position to help
that would be greatly appreciated. If I should do tests, or if my
local configuration is broken, then please point me to the proper
source, and maybe a check could be added. A brief (!) googeling did not
reveal the origin/reason of these *coff*-files, except that it is some
legacy mechanism on ppc.

Thanks!

         Helge
--