PowerBook 5,4 (the latest alu): cpufreq/sound/eth1394

howdy folks...

i have a 15" 1.5 GHz alu powerbook here which identifies itself as
PowerBook5,4. i discovered several problems which anyone of you might be
helpful about. :)

- running kernel 2.6.6 with no other patches; 2.6.6-bk4 does not seem to
  cover any problems i experience here
- debian testing synced today
- hopefully did not overlook any previous posts
- have an "old" alu powerbook next to me (5,2)

CPUFREQ:

/proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
cpu             : 7447A, altivec supported
clock           : 1499MHz
revision        : 1.1 (pvr 8003 0101)
bogomips        : 747.52
machine         : PowerBook5,4
motherboard     : PowerBook5,4 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 287 (Unknown Intrepid-based)
pmac flags      : 00000008
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 512MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld

as you can see at the bogomips, the value looks like running at lower
frequency (number of clock and bogomips roughly equal on 5,2). dmesg also
does not show an output like "Registering PowerMac CPU frequency...".
first, i thought: no problem, just pretend 5,4 to be like 5,2, but that
did not work out. i modified pmac_feature.c at two places so far:
- line 2120ff to add an entry for 5,4
- line 2624 to trigger the "bump clock speed hack"

but after enabling DEBUG_FEATURE as well, i saw problems in
pmac_low_i2c.c:kw_handle_interrupt when rebooting:

PowerMac motherboard: PowerBook G4 15"
Trying to bump clock speed for PID: c02112aad...
KW: KW: NAK on address
KW: wrong state. Got KW_I2C_IRQ_ADDR, state: state_stop (isr: 6)
read result: 4,<6>Found UniNorth

and the code breaks out of the loop at pmac_feature.c:2665, because rc != 0.

apart from the bumping, the cpufreq driver does not start as well. i
wonder if this has something to do with the i2c error above. which
branch would be the right one in pmac_cpufreq.c:pmac_cpufreq_setup
anyway? i assume 5,4 is compatible to MacRISC3, but did not debug any
further, because i do not understand how to "make init/main.c non-init
before enabling DEBUG_FREQ".

SOUND:

when trying the old dmasound module i get this when loading:

FATAL: Error inserting dmasound_pmac (/lib/modules/2.6.6/kernel/sound/dmasound_pmac.ko): No such device
dmasound_pmac: couldn't find a Codec we can handle

ALSA can be loaded, but is mute.
- trying to play an .au file gives "aplay: set_params:880: Unable to
  install hw params: ..."
- .wav and .mp3 play fine, but i cannot hear a thing.
- the alsamixer shows card/chip to be "PowerMac AWACS", although it is
  "PowerMac Snapper" on my 5,2. there are also fewer items to control:
  only master, headphone detection, mic boost, pc speak, auto-mute;
  plus passive items: cd, line, mic. On my 5,2 i can control:
  master, headphone, headphone detection, bass, treble, pcm, pcm1, pc
  speak, auto-mute, drc, drc rang, monitor mix.

ETH1394

not really a concern, but irritating. i have to blacklist that module,
because it is printing this error message on the console all the time:

ip1394: eth1: Could not allocate isochronous receive context for the
broadcast channel

on my 5,2 i only get this message once.

well, hopefully someone can shed some light on these.

thanks in advance,
sebastian
--
::: .O.