Mozilla problem ?

Hi,

I have Mozilla 1.5.3 running with Gnome 2.4 on a Linux kernel 2.4.25. While the clicking doesn't show any problem, as soon as I try to type a URL, Mozilla freezes and doesn't want to quit unless I force it. I tried to uninstall and reinstall it, but the problem remains, and with Firefox too. I have just installed gaim with apt-get with its dependencies, and the problem didn't occur before, but I don't see why gaim could block Mozilla to that extent. Does anybody have an idea ?

Thanks in advance.

Quentin

P.S.: I have rebuild the kernel yesterday, suppressing the video supports that I didn't need (Nvidia, ATI Rage...), and only keeping ATI Radeon support for my iBook G3 700MHz. Could that be the reason ?