Re: Problems with install on Power Mac G3 minitower

Brad Boyer wrote:

What does it do when you try cmd-opt-o-f? Have you explicitly set the
output-device and input-device? OF is pretty dumb about auto-detecting
which devices you want to use for your console. Early models defaulted
to using the serial ports, but most G3 based models default to using
ADB keyboard and built-in video, if possible.

One problem may be that the primary (i.e. built-in) display adapter on this box failed a couple of years ago. We've been using the PCI video board ever since (at least until my wife decided she'd had enough of Macs and got a Windows laptop. Yeah, I know, I tried to tell her....). So a normal MacOS boot on this box goes something like this:

- Turn on the power
- Listen to chime
- Watch pretty blank screen for about a minute. Monitor shows "No sync".
- Then admire nice grey screen, which eventually shows a nice MacOS logo and boot proceeds normally.

When I press cmd-opt-o-f (should I do this with power off and turn the box on while holding them down, or can I do it a bit later? If so, how long do you get to do it?), I get the same sequence as that above. It may, of course, be trying to display the OF console on the primary adapter, but I have no way of telling. How do I set OF's input and output devices?

Thanks,

 .....Ron

--
Ron Murray   (rjmx@rjmx.net)