Re: Problems with install on Power Mac G3 minitower

At Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:30:25 +0200,
Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:01:59PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > Ron,
> >
> > I've done it (install woody on an OldWorld PowerMac) successfully.
> > Email me at <rbthomas55@pobox.com> if you need help.
> >
> > You need BootX, as you have found out.  You also need to make sure that
> > your MacOS partition is HFS, not HFS+, so that you can copy updated
> > kernels to it while running Linux.  (Or you need a ZIP drive formatted
> > as HFS to use as intermediate storage between Linux and MacOS.)
> >
> > Sarge on OldWorld machines is not ready for prime time yet.  The problem
> > is with the installer, not the code it installs.  You may be able to get
> > to sarge by installing woody and doing "apt-get upgrade".  I' haven't
> > tried it myself.
>
> That is,i believe, a little exagerated. The only point missing is the
> building of the miboot boot floppy. The rest of debian installer should
> work just fine, thanks to the great work of Jeremie Koenig on this.
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

   Thanks for the help, folks. Sven, do you have the URL for the sarge
installer? Given that woody hangs when I try to install, I think sarge
might be worth trying.

   It does look like I have a lot to learn with these things,
though. And I thought alphas were hard! For one thing, I don't seem to
be able to get into Open Firmware on bootup, even when I press
cmd-option-o-f like the book says. Should I? Of course, this machine
may be a special case since I'm reduced to using the PCI video card,
since the on-board video adaptor failed long ago. It has worked well
with MacOS, though.

Thanks again,

 .....Ron

--