Re: 2.6.4 on a pismo?

In my continuing quest (with help from many of you), I got a working kernel compiled and installed (the 2.6.5-rc2-ben0). Of course, now my iMic has stopped working. Unfortunately, not only in my new kernel, but in my old beautiful 2.4.25 kernel, too. Bummer. Can any of you give some tips to an enthusiastic but frustrated newbie to help him get his computer singing once again?

Some info: I compiled ALSA and USB Audio right into the 2.6 kernel, not as modules. What kind of stuff that I would do in the process of installing a new kernel would make my old kernel end up deaf and dumb?

Please don't give me the tip, "Don't mess with a working configuration." I've already learned that one.

Thanks,
jim