2.6.4 on a pismo?

Howdy,
I've been working for a couple of days now on this problem, and I'd be much obliged if someone could help me out. I've got a pismo (G3 pb 500MHz w/ fw), and I've been trying to install the 2.6.4 kernel. I got the source from kernel.org, have configured and built it a several times, with varying degrees of sucess. My most recent problem is that when I boot into the 2.6 kernel, my ethernet doesn't work. Eth0 goes and requests on DHCP, but I think somehow my airport card has taken eth0, and, since I'm not near any base-stations, it comes up with nothing. So, no network, even though I'm sure I've compiled in support for the built-in ethernet. And secondly, once I get into KDE, the system is mind-numbingly unresponsive. The mouse pointer moves jerkily (maybe about 2 moves a second). The system works fine in console (well, except the network thing). Can anyone give me some tips, or perhaps a known working .config for 2.6.4 on a pismo?
Thanks,
Jim Altieri