Re: 2.6.4 kernel

> box: Tibook 1GHz G4, ATI radeon 9000M, 10/100/1000
> ethernet, orinico airport card(not extreme),
> cd-rw/dvd-r, and a winmodem (nothing is perfect).
>
> i have a 2.4.21-ben2 kernel, and want to upgrade to
> 2.6 series, so i have some questions before to make
> the change:
>
> 2.6.4 has all the powerpc stuff?(no need of ben tree?)

I still see Ben submitting some patches for some sleep stuff,
so I'm going to stay on his tree for now.

> I need to upgrade from modutils to module-init-tools?
> (for module stuff)

Yes, definitely. Before you boot your new 2.6 kernel.

> ide-scsi emulation no longer needed?

So they say, but I haven't tested it yet.

> As far as i know hfsplus is not supported (yet) in the
> 2.6 series, is this true?

Yes, unfortunately.

> i need to install alsa?

If you go with that, which is recommended. You can still select the old OSS
stuff in the kernel config.
For alsa I think you need at least alsa-base and alsa-utils.

> can i steel have 3d accel?(dri-trunk of daenzer? comes
> included with the kernnel?)

It works for my radeon 7500 using unstable. I need to use the lcd_hack program
from Ben sometimes.
There is a conflict between the radeon driver in DRI mode and some real-time
programs like qjackctl and rosegarden4 (if you're into that). So I don't load DRI
in that case.

> I need kernel-headers-2.6.4-? (to recompile mol and
> modem)Where can i get those?

Have not seen a package for this (yet).

> Can i have cpufreq? or still causes the box turn off
> and clock reset to dec 31 1969? (by openfirmware
> <upgrade)

cpufreqd is still supported. You don't need the /proc support any more in the kernel
options, it can use the new /sys interface (which you'll want to mount in /etc/fstab).

One of my only issues with 2.6 is that I don't get segment violations anymore, but a
kernel oops. Rather ugly. But that may be fixed in 2.6.4, I'm still on 2.6.3-something.

Good luck!
Martin