Re: Fan control and CPU temperature etc

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:31:31 +0100,
Klaus Agnoletti gracefully wrote:
>Hi Cedric (and the rest of the list),
>
>I tried that now. I dunno yet if it makes any difference. I can't see
>any readings in /proc/cpufreq (I dunno if that gets automatically
>updated, but I assume it does).
>Right now I have everything related to cpufreq compiled statically in
>the kernel ..

These are the info on my kernel.

#>cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 750FX
temperature     : 8 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 400MHz  <---  This is in power saving mode (800MHz at full speed)
revision        : 2.2 (pvr 7000 0202)
bogomips        : 792.57

#>cat /proc/cpufreq
          minimum CPU frequency  -  maximum CPU frequency  -  policy
CPU  0       400000 kHz ( 50 %)  -     400000 kHz ( 50 %)  - performance

#>cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/*
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq
800000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq
400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
powersave userspace performance
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
powermac
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
400000
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
400000

#>grep CPU_FREQ /boot/config-2.6.4
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PMAC=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y

>As I understand it, cpudyn is a substitute for cpufreqd - not as
>advanced, but much easier to configure.
>
>Am I right ?
I'm not sure.

> What utils work the best on mac ? Can you send me a
>cpufreqd.conf for my powerbook ? I've had problems configuring it, and
>I haven't been able to find my help online, not as to configuring
>cpufreqd on a mac, at least, so if you could point me to any help on
>that, it would be appreciated.

I don't use cpudynd. I tried twice and it did nothing visible.
I attach a my /etc/cpufreqd.conf.
I just check with
#> strace cpufreqd -D -V 5 2>&1 | grep cpufreq
that it really uses /proc/cpufreq.

You can check what it is doing with
#> cpufreqd -V 6 -D

>How does cpu frequency scaling work in Linux on mac ? Is it possible to
>make it work as good as in mac os x ?

I think so. With cpufreqd My ibook is almost always running at 400MHz
instead of 800 normally and cpu temp stays around 48-53 degrees when
editing and compiling moderately. It climbs to 60 when compiling kernel
or reading DVDs.

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail