Re: Serial and ALSA Problems in vanilla 2.6.3 (Powermac 8500-AWACS)

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 08:40, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 12:48:47AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > XMMS is known to be broken, in particular its ALSA plugin.
>
> This is fixed in beep-media-player though.

Good.

> It is even the only program who does ALSA native correctly for me.
> Totem/xine does not (little ticks),

Actually, that may be due to ALSA bugs which have been fixed in 1.0.3.
According to ALSA developers, Xine is the media player having the best
ALSA support.

> XmmS not without tuning, mplayer-g4 not (terrible result), etc.

Don't get me started on mplayer... ;) It works kinda OK via SDL though.

> Funny that the OSS via Alsa is working ok, with sometimes some short
> periods of loud static in between though.

OSS has been around for much longer; many apps still aren't using the
ALSA API 100% correctly. The ones I care about have been progressing
nicely though, probably just a matter of time. Overall, ALSA is already
working much better for me.