Re: Need to Install Benh iMac Kernel -- But How?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:08:29AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 00:30, Sven Luther wrote:
> > >
> > > I am currently preparing a 2.4.25 debian kernel, which will be based on
> > > 2.4.25-ben1, and should be ok for your needs.
> >
> > Damn, my Power4 config fails with :
>
> Probably cpufreq. I don't recommend distributing a 2.4 kernel for G5s
> anyway. 2.6 is the way to go on these.

Yeah, removed cpufreq and powerbook support for now.

BTW, you don't recommend it, but would it still be ok for using
debian-installer ?

The idea is to do the initial installation with 2.4, as there is not yet
framework for 2.6 kernels, and then, in stage 2 of the installation,
install a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel, user choice.

Anyway, now that i have the 2.4.25 package out, i will be doing a 2.6.3
kernel.

BTW, i only built a SMP version of the -power4 kernel. Do you think this
is ok, as i believe most power4 boxes are/will be SMP ones. How big is
the performance hit on single processor using the SMP kernel ?

/me wonders if i could get a fast G5 box sponsored, since it took me
two damn days to get these kernels built on my 1GHz G4 :).

Friendly,

Sven Luther