Left Edge Screen Pixel Still Missing from Debian System

After reinstalling the Debian system for PPC, the problem with the left
edge not displaying on my iMac screen has returned. It appears the
display mode set by Debian is just a hal-pixel off, because I can see
the right half of the left-most character. In other words, all along
the left edge of the monitor, characters are 'cut' in half - Debian is
trying to display characters where Apple has placed the black 'border'
around the viewable portion of the monitor.

I've searched modcomf for some missing module, but the ATY128 (ATI Rage
Pro 128 used by the iMac) isn't listed and I've searched high and low
for a solution. Someone must have installed Debian on an iMac before.
I'm about to cut my losses and go with another Linux distribution if I
can't find the answer to this totally vexing bug.

Ed