Re: Trouble getting Alsa to configure

nope.  You want to do it the debian way.

:)

apt-get install alsa-source (I think that is the package you need).

and use the kernel package utils to compile the modules like this:
go to /usr/src/linux and run this:
make-kpkg modules_image

That should then compile all of the external modules.

(you will need the debhelper package as well)

Satadru