Re: It's ALIVE!!!!

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 05:21:47PM -0600, dotto@uchicago.edu wrote:
> 1. External Mouse: I have a Microsoft basic optical mouse with a scroll wheel
> on my Tibook. How do I manipulate XF86Config to recognize this, and how do I
> make it swappable with the trackpad. I also have a suspicion that the scroll
> wheel could possibly act as a third button as well, since there is an audible
> click when I press down on it.

If you're using a 2.4 kernel, the internal trackpad and a USB mouse will
both send events using /dev/input/mice. In fact, you would generally
have both working at once. It is harder to separate them out, but most
people don't care about that. If the USB mouse doesn't work, you probably
need to load more drivers. You'll need usb-ohci, hid, and mousedev (and
their dependencies, like usbcore and input) either compiled in or loaded
as modules. If you're running something other than a 2.4 kernel, the
details may be different, but ADB mice have used the generic input
layer almost as long as USB mice have even been supported.

Generally a scroll wheel is actually considered to be three buttons. Two
of them are scroll up and scroll down, and the third is the sensor for
that audible click you mentioned. On most mice with two regular buttons
and a wheel, the wheel click is the middle button (technically button 2),
and the up/down is 4 and 5.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com