Re: Debian install Tibook IV 1 Ghz

If by Powerbook G4 you refer to the 1ghz TiBook, here is what I can offer you:

I am putting up some files from my working installation here (Including a working 2.6 series kernel and relevant modules):

http://pramanikconsulting.com/debianppc/

I installed using I believe a testing tree installer, then went in and changed my sources.list to allow for unstable, and did a dist-uprade to ensure that I had XFree 4.3 (which you want). With XFree86 4.3.0 from unstable, you really shouldn't NEED any special drm-trunk magic to get X working properly.

The /etc/init.d/discover startup script seems to lock the machine up when starting up, so rather than do the useful thing and debug it, I merely moved /sbin//discover out of the way.

If you do use my kernel modules, you will of course want to do a apt-get install module-init-utils from unstable, as that will support booting using the 2.6 series of kernels.

Best of luck.  I've even gotten MOL to work - and fairly well at that.

I've even contemplated the thought of hacking my startup scripts to run startmol -X in lieu of starting the xdm, but that would just be too slow...

(ok, so OS X really needs to support VT switching).

The one thing I haven't gotten to work properly is cpufreqd, which has a config file which by default has cpu freq ranges in percentages, which the program then declares needs to not be in percentages. (That and the program when apt-get installed doesn't add itself to the list of services to be started when booting.) But you'll want cpufreqd working in some fashion, otherwise your computer will work at the slower power conservation speed.

Regards,

Satadru