Re: [Fwd: Re: Dual head on G4 Powerbook 400MHz]

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 at 09:17:49 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> In the normal case, we really want all displays opened. This make
> sure everything gets properly initialized by the firmware. The
> fact that m3mirror "hack" doesn't work in this case is a side
> effect ;) It could probably be fixed by other means though.

I compared the radeonfb.c to aty128fb.c. in 2.6.3

It looks like the radeonfb.c initialzes the displays by toggling a few
flags in some registers for CRTC2_GEN_CNTL and CRTC_EXT_CNTL. However,
aty128fb.c only deals with the CRTC_EXT_CNTL register. I am sure there
are lots of other differences too, but it is late.

In which kernel version was dual head mode first working with the
radeonfb driver?

What kind of tweaks for dual head were needed in the radeonfb driver?

Also, I am a little confused about the framebuffer. Is that only used
for the primary display? It only seems to be setup with color, and mode
information for the primary display in both drivers.

I haven't looked at the X drivers yet, I am sure that will answer my
questions. Again what version was dual head support introduced for the
radeon driver so I can see what was changes were needed.

--
David Stanaway <david@stanaway.net>