Debian install Tibook IV 1 Ghz

OK, once again I begin at the beginning. I have tried to successfully install
Debian a good 20 times by now, but still haven't gotten things ironed out.
I've already looked at many of the web guides to install on a mac laptop (the
Branden guide, Christophe, etc.), but it seems like things have changed enough
since these pages creation to confuse me a bit. Kernel compile after kernel
compile have ended with Errors or led to panics that I don't know how to fix.
This time I am determined to do everything right and end up with a fully (or
near fully :)) functional Debian on powerbook. I just need some useful advice
on getting this puppy started. Here's the two questions currently driving me
nuts. Please help if you can. Thanks:

1. I have found a kernel on ppckernel.org that is supposed to be specifically
for the Powerbook G4 (benh-2.4.24, I think?). Only the source appears to be
avaiable. There's even a config file provided. Couldn't be simpler, could it?
Well.. the config file appears to be for an earlier version of the kernel,
because there are marked differences between it and the current options. Does
anyone have a working config file for a Tibook IV? Failing that, what are the
options I need to select to allow the possibility of everything working?

2. After getting this put together, I know I will have to find a way to get X
running on this machine. Is the drm-trunk module from Daenzer still the best
way to get this going? I tried doing this and ended up with a blank screen or
a crazy psychedelic blur after my configuration attempts. Again help with
configuration or a newfound better way would be greatly appreciated. I read
somewhere that someone compiled the entire XFree86 4.3 source for his install
(something like a five hour build?). Is this a better option, and if so, how
possible is it for someone with limited compiling experience?

I have studied up on these issues, and they seem to be commonly tread paths. I
would greatly appreciate the benefit of experienced advice on this.

Thanks
Derek