rivafb on pbook 12"

Hi,
after the update to 2.6.3-ben2 I'm back to vertical colored stripes and
a complete hang with rivafb. Card is:
 nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go 64M] (rev a3)
It seem the edid code changed completely. Reverting it to 2.6.2 seems
difficult. Some shots in the dark (such as disabling the hardware
cursor, forcing flatpanel, using strictmodes, using I2C and/or OF for
edid parsing) didn't help much and at best changed the color of the
stripes. I'm having a hard time to debug this since the kernel doesn't
boot (of course it does with ofonly) to get a reasonable dmesg output.
Any hints?
 -- Guido