Re: Unable to install/boot debian from G3(beige) desktop

On  30 Jan, this message from J. MacPhail echoed through cyberspace:
> Like many G3 users, I am somewhat resentfully dual booting (with
> BootX).  Sensible or now, the reason I did not try harder with Quik is
> the apparent lack of a way to apply OF patches from within Linux.  The
> indicated programme would seem to be

.. would be called nvsetenv :-)

>   1. Work out how to apply an OF patch from within Linux.  (For this
> purpose, the patch itself can be extracted from Apple's utility with
> ResEdit.  The patch is just a text "resource" of OF commands.)  Has
> anyone played around in /proc/device-tree enough to be able to apply
> an OF patch?

Patching s not done in /proc/device-tree. That is just a read-only copy
of the OF device tree just before Linux boots.

>   2. Find or create free software to extract a "resource" from a MacOS
> file, to dispense with the need for ResEdit.  Does such software
> already exist?

strings?

>   3. Perhaps see about persuading Apple to make OF patches directly
> available independently of the MacOS tool for installation.

Try to get a wall to sing....

> By the way, I have
>
> $cat /proc/device-tree/openprom/model
> Open Firmware 2.0f1
>
> This is supposed to be current for a beige G3, I think.  But do the
> patches change the OF version?

No, AFAIK the OF is in ROM, so can't be changed. What is done by the
patches is to add stuff to the OF variable 'nvramrc', which is stored in
nvram (non-volatile RAM).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |